Chief Information Officer at AARP (Washington, DC)
AARP is the nation’s largest nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to empowering people 50 and older to choose how they live as they age.
With a nationwide presence and nearly 37 million members, AARP strengthens communities and advocates for what matters most to families: health security, financial resilience, and personal fulfillment. AARP has staffed offices in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. AARP advocates for consumers in the marketplace by selecting products and services of high quality and value to carry the AARP name as well as by helping its members obtain discounts on a wide range of products, travel, and services.
AARP is conducting a search for an experienced and highly qualified Senior Vice President and Chief Information Officer (CIO) accountable for defining and delivering IT strategy and capabilities across the enterprise to join its dynamic team of professionals. The CIO at AARP is a key contributor to the enterprise’s strategy and planning process and will be responsible both for IT operations and for technology and digital innovation. This role offers a truly unique opportunity for a forward thinking senior leader to lead an organization of 134 professionals across multiple disciplines to drive the technology solutions to support AARP’s social mission and membership growth strategy and enhance the customer experience.
The CIO will take the reins at a pivotal time in AARP’s history, as it navigates the rapidly changing world of cloud technology, digital trends, data regulations, information security, and the multi-generational needs of the 50+ consumer.
Based in Washington, DC, the CIO will report to AARP’s Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer and lead a team of 8 direct reports. The CIO will be responsible for four core areas of IT Strategy, IT Leadership, IT Team Development, and IT Operations; will have P&L responsibility for a budget of $126.1 million; and will manage 200 plus vendors.
The ideal candidate will be:
- A dynamic and visionary leader with a record of achieving results individually and through others.
- A strategic thinker with demonstrated ability to achieve and implement strategies.
- A seasoned management professional who can make a key contribution to the formulation and execution of the enterprise’s technology and digital strategies.
- An excellent communicator with the capability to articulate the enterprise’s technology and digital strategy into sound business plans that support the enterprise strategy.
- A charismatic partner who can motivate and influence employees, business partners, the executive team, and the Board of Directors.