Fountain House is a national mental health non-profit fighting to improve health, increase opportunity, and end social and economic isolation for people living with serious mental illness. Drawing on the more than 200 rehabilitative programs in nearly 40 states that have been inspired by Fountain House and are known as clubhouses -to reflect an insistence on belonging and acceptance -and with more than 60,000 members, Fountain House is leading a national movement for the dignity and rights of people with serious mental illness.
Fountain House seeks a Senior Director of National Policy and Advocacy to work under the supervision of the Chief External Affairs Officer, and in close partnership with the President and CEO, and other senior leaders, to define and advance Fountain House’s national, state, and local policy objectives using a variety strategies within the existing 501(c)3, and soon-to-be-established 501(c)4. They are part of the organization’s senior management team. They will build a team and work closely with Directors in the External Affairs unit: Communication, Digital and Marketing, and Advocacy and Organizing. Organization-wide, they will also work closely with the research, development, program, and legal teams. The Senior Director of National Policy and Advocacy will interface directly with federal, state, and local elected and appointed officials and staff, agencies, and other adjacent non-profit organizations and allies. Qualifications include:
- Graduate degree or equivalent work experience required.
- Seven to 10 years of policy analysis, development, and advocacy experience, including track record of developing, managing, and implementing campaigns to pass and oppose and endorse candidates.
- Experience in owning the strategy around policy development at the federal, state, and local levels for a mission-driven not-for-profit organization.
- Demonstrable experience executing an advocacy action plan that affected policy change.
- Ability to analyze proposed legislation and to persuasively communicate its impact to a variety of audiences through writing and speaking.
- Demonstrable track record in policy analysis and policy platform development in one or more of the following areas intersecting with mental illness: mental health, healthcare, public health, drug policy, housing, and/or criminal justice.
- Experience hiring, managing, and working with lobbyists.
- Experience drafting legislation and regulatory writing, as well as writing polling questions and interpreting polling data.
- Experience with national and local campaigns to change policy and practice, as well as with movements or movement-based organizations.
- Understanding of laws governing 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) permissible lobbying and electioneering activity.
- Excellent research, writing, and verbal communication skills.
Development Resources, inc. is leading this search for Fountain House.