Visionary President & CEO to lead an ambitious historic institution (Montpelier Station, VA)
James Madison’s Montpelier seeks a visionary, entrepreneurial, and dynamic President & CEO to bring a Founding Father’s home into today’s Constitutional conversation.
Montpelier is not just the home of one of America’s Founding Fathers. It is the place where James Madison conceived the foundational ideas of constitutional democracy. It is an institution that tells the whole truth of American history, with an engaged community of descendants of the enslaved community whose labor supported Madison’s plantation. It is a public archaeology program that reveals more every day about life in early America, not only for the elite, but for overseers and enslaved laborers as well.
Today Montpelier seeks a President & CEO to lead its exciting programs at a key moment in its evolution. As it embarks on its third decade, Montpelier is poised to become a site of national importance with an international voice. With a state-of-the-art collection and newly streamlined operations, it is ready to marshal its resources to show how a national historic site can create new spaces of exploration and, in the process, energize a new generation.
The next President & CEO of Montpelier will be a key figure in achieving this vision. This leader will work with the Board of Directors to build both the business and the brand of Montpelier. The President & CEO will develop and implement a strategic vision, lead a staff of 53 full-time and 60 part-time employees and serve as Montpelier’s chief fundraiser, brand builder, and ambassador to the public. The successful candidate will achieve four core goals:
- Grow philanthropic and commercial revenue to achieve a sustainable operation and growing endowment;
- Inspire, energize, and motivate staff throughout Montpelier, establishing a clear vision of a transformative visitor experience and reinforcing the contributions of all staff to achieving it;
- Oversee and direct operations to ensure Montpelier’s core business effectiveness; and
- Position Montpelier as a site of national importance with an international voice that is relevant to Madisonian ideas and modern challenges.
- 10 years of successful experience in a senior leadership role, including experience leading business growth and change management processes and working with a Board of Directors.
- Advanced degree from an accredited college or university.
- Demonstrated ability to increase funds for an institution and engage major donors.
- Track record of elevating an organization’s public profile/market share.
- Ability to work in an entrepreneurial manner and establish strategic partnerships.
- Ability to formulate and articulate an inspiring strategic vision; polished communication skills.
- Experience managing budgets with fiscal responsibility.
Preferred characteristics include:
- Proven non-profit fundraising ability with knowledge of regional and national philanthropic communities.
- Familiarity with marketing and historic tourism.
- Experience in or understanding of non-profit management, including experience guiding and facilitating a diverse non-profit Board.
- Knowledge of or interest in American constitutional issues and their impact in contemporary society.
Applications for all DRi searches can be submitted at http://driconsulting.com/available-positions/.