People For the American Way is a national organization dedicated to defending constitutional and civil rights and promoting the democratic values of citizen participation, freedom of expression, freedom of religion, and respect for diversity.
People For the American Way works to build a democratic society that implements the ideals of freedom, equality, opportunity, and justice for all. People For the American Way encourages civic participation, defends fundamental rights, and fights to dismantle systemic barriers to equitable opportunity. People For the American Way fights against right-wing extremism and the injustice it fosters.
Over 40 years, People For the American Way has built a deep base of financial support from a broad range of donors, including direct mail and online contributions from members, major gifts from individuals, and support from foundations. People For the American Way seeks a Director of Institutional Giving to serve as a key member of the development team, responsible for managing the institutional giving program for both the 501(c)3 and 501(c)4, cultivating and deepening existing institutional (primarily foundation, as well as corporate) relationships, identifying new opportunities for growth, and working to ensure that People For the American Way’s programs are funded through a diverse array of funders. Primary qualifications include:
- Seven or more years of experience in managing relationships with foundations.
- Demonstrated experience planning and managing multi-million-dollar budgets.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; ability to articulate a strong and compelling case for support.
- Previous development/grant writing experience required.
- Broad understanding of different aspects of development, best practices, and fundraising ethics.
- Staff management experience, including ability to supervise, motivate, and evaluate staff.
- Strategic, hardworking, and able to work with a high degree of flexibility in a highly-collaborative, fast-paced, and goal-oriented environment.
- Strong commitment to People For the American Way’s values, issues, and campaigns, including racial justice, protecting our democracy, defending fundamental rights, and fighting for policies that reflect progressive values.
Development Resources, inc. (DRi) is leading this search for People For the American Way. All of DRi’s searches can be viewed at http://driconsulting.com/available-positions/. Applications can also be submitted via email to [email protected].