People For the American Way is a national organization dedicated to defending constitutional and civil rights and promoting the democratic values of citizen participation, freedom of expression, freedom of religion, and respect for diversity.
People For the American Way works to build a democratic society that implements the ideals of freedom, equality, opportunity, and justice for all. People For the American Way encourages civic participation, defends fundamental rights, and fights to dismantle systemic barriers to equitable opportunity. People For the American Way fights against right-wing extremism and the injustice it fosters.
Over 40 years, People For the American Way has built a deep base of financial support from a broad range of donors, including direct mail and online contributions from members, major gifts from individuals, and support from foundations. People For the American Way seeks a Director of Major Gifts to serve as a key member of the development team, responsible for managing the major donor fundraising program for both the 501(c)3 and 501(c)4 organizations. Specific qualifications include:
- Seven or more years professional experience in advocacy organizations and/or political campaigns.
- Demonstrated experience planning and managing multi-million-dollar budgets.
- Significant development experience with special emphasis on donor cultivation, prospect research, and major gift solicitation, including demonstrated success in direct solicitation of 5- to 7-figure gifts.
- Proven ability to think creatively about development opportunities, including connecting donor interests to current events and ongoing program work, identifying strategies to cultivate newly engaged political donors, stepping up the levels of engagement of existing major donors, and transitioning mid-level direct-mail and online donors to the major gifts level.
- Staff management experience, including ability to supervise, motivate, and evaluate staff.
- Strong commitment to People For the American Way’s values, issues, and campaigns, including racial justice, protecting our democracy, defending fundamental rights, and fighting for policies that reflect progressive values.
Development Resources, inc. (DRi) is leading this search for People For the American Way. All of DRi’s searches can be viewed at http://driconsulting.com/available-positions/. Applications can also be submitted via email to [email protected].