The Birmingham Museum of Art (BMA) sparks the creativity, imagination, and liveliness of Birmingham by connecting all its citizens to the joy of art. Founded in 1951, BMA has one of the finest collections in the Southeast supported by a strong educational program designed to make the arts come alive for children and adults. More than 27,000 objects represent a rich panorama of cultures, including Asian, European, American, African, Pre-Columbian, and Native American.
The Museum connects with the community through educational programs and curated exhibitions that engage, entertain, and enlighten visitors. Programs are designed around the Museum’s permanent collection and changing exhibitions, and they provide opportunities for all ages and levels of experience to connect with art.
The Birmingham Museum of Art is seeking a Director of Development to support the expansion of a comprehensive fundraising program. The Director of Development will be responsible for directing the fundraising program to secure new donors and expand support from individuals, corporations, and foundations. This work includes managing a successful staff of fundraisers, cultivating and soliciting a portfolio of prospects, and stewarding existing donors. Reporting to the Museum Director, the Director of Development will oversee all integrated fundraising strategies and will manage a team that is working to increase membership/annual giving, major and planned gifts, and corporate and foundation giving.
The ideal Director of Development will have:
- At least five to seven years of experience in non-profit development, including fundraising for the arts in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Track record of successful fundraising with a national arts institution or a non-profit in Birmingham.
- Experience building and leading a high-performing and comprehensive fundraising team.
- Record of leading the development and execution of strategies that have successfully grown and diversified a donor base.
- Record of securing 5- and 6-figure gifts.
- Capacity to work easily and effectively with a wide range of people; adept at building relationships.
- Commitment to the arts and understanding of its importance in the community.
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
Development Resources, inc. is leading this search for Birmingham Museum of Art. All of DRi‘s searches can be viewed at http://driconsulting.com/available-positions/. Applications can also be submitted via email to [email protected].