The American Civil Liberties Union of Texas (ACLU of Texas) is the leading civil rights organization in the Lone Star State. Since 1938, ACLU of Texas has worked in the courts, the legislature, and through public education to protect civil rights and individual liberty.
The ACLU of Texas began its work with the San Antonio pecan sheller’s strike of 1938, where laborers who tried to exercise their rights to free speech and free association to improve their working conditions were met with a brutal response by law enforcement. With the help of the ACLU of Texas , the shellers ultimately won their battle, and the ACLU of Texas has remained on the front lines of the fight for civil liberties ever since.
The American Civil Liberties Union of Texas is looking for an experienced, entrepreneurial, and confident leader with a deep understanding of communications strategy and platforms. The Communications Director is based in Houston and plays a vital role in shaping a bold vision to protect the liberties that define our democracy. We’re looking for an action-oriented leader who will collaboratively develop new content for advocacy and public-education initiatives online and through print collateral, providing project management support for the entire organization and help drive the organization’s total communications, marketing, and advocacy initiatives.
- 8 to 10 years of increasingly responsibility in strategic communications, increasing responsibility, press and media outreach, and/or campaign management and issue advocacy.
- At least 5 years of management experience and 3 years in a senior management role.
- Proven track record of launching major, innovative national and state communications campaigns designed to affect change and build a movement.
- Outstanding political judgment and ability to work across the political spectrum.
- Experience working with or in a nonprofit or government supporting communications and marketing.
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
Development Resources, inc. is leading this search for the ACLU of Texas. All of DRi‘s searches can be viewed at http://driconsulting.com/available-positions/. Applications can also be submitted via email to [email protected].