FairVote (FV) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that champions non-partisan electoral reforms that give voters better choices, a stronger voice, and a more representative democracy.
Since its founding in 1992, FairVote has been the leading national voice behind ranked choice voting (RCV) and the Fair Representation Act, the reforms that are most critical to its mission. Its trailblazing work on these and other initiatives have won high-profile electoral reforms at the local, state, and national levels. Currently, FairVote is experiencing an exciting surge of interest in its efforts and is very well-positioned for significant growth and impact. To that end, it is looking for a dynamic and creative high-level communications professional and strategist to join its management team and help seize this moment for structural reform.
The Director of Communications will lead the development and execution of a cohesive and holistic communications strategy. This full-time position serves as a member of FairVote’s senior management team and contributes at a high level to advance its reform goals nationally and in partnership with state and local allies. Reporting to the Managing Director, the Director of Communications will leverage FairVote’s national leadership of ranked choice voting (RCV) and its success in catalyzing a string of high-impact voting reforms.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Strategically elevate key messages to advance FairVote’s mission and raise its profile as a national organization for electoral reform.
- Serve as a strategic communications and campaigns lead, strategically leveraging traditional and social media; as RCV gains national momentum, provide rapid response to positive and negative coverage of RCV and FairVote’s other reforms.
- Introduce new and creative approaches to storytelling and provide training to FairVote staff and partners to become spokespeople and effective messengers.
- Serve as FairVote lead on all media relations.
- Develop and execute communication strategies with national and local reform allies.
- Effective manage a growing communications team and tap existing communications assets to deliver results.
- 8 to 10 years of increasingly responsible experience in strategic communications, press and media outreach, and or campaign management and issue advocacy.
- At least 5 years in management and 3 years in a senior management role.
- Proven track record of launching major, innovative national and state communications campaigns designed to effect change and build a movement.
- Experience working with or at a major marketing, public relations, or advertising firm is preferred.
- Outstanding political judgment and ability to work across the political spectrum for FairVote reforms.
- Ability to use a mix of media to achieve advocacy goals (including print and digital, social media platforms, in-person presentations, videos, brochures, etc. to reach and persuade specific audiences).
- Excellent writing, editing, and presentation skills.
- Ability to appreciate and contribute to an environment that values integrity, adaptability, reliability, collaboration, a commitment to learning, and a sense of humor.
FairVote offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, which includes fully-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance, transportation benefits, and generous parental and personal leave policies.