Howard University is experiencing historic and unprecedented institutional and philanthropic growth. Bolstered by an active and energetic alumni base inspired by the heightened role and significance of Howard’s place among elite higher education, the University has embarked on a significant expansion of and investment in its Advancement efforts. If you are an enthusiastic communications professional looking for a chance to make a difference, now is the time to join this historic institution and become a part of something greater.
Reporting to the Assistant Vice President, Institutional Giving, the Director of Advancement Communications oversees the creation of donor-centered communication tools and strategies that enhance donor relationships and build a culture of philanthropy at Howard University.
The Director will lead a communications program that targets alumni, donors, and other key University stakeholders. Working closely with Development and Alumni Relations leadership, the Director will lead the Advancement Communications team in the creation and implementation of a sophisticated multichannel communications plan to elevate alumni engagement, increase annual and major gift donations, improve donor stewardship, and increase awareness of the University’s success.
The ideal Director of Advancement Communications will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, English or other related field required.
- A minimum of 5 years of senior experience in communications, marketing, or public relations role.
- Prior experience supporting Development or Alumni Relations communications is highly desirable.
- Excellent communication, presentation, organization, and computer/pc skills are required, along with proficiency in Microsoft Office including: Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel, along with other related software.
- Knowledge of the various techniques for successfully disseminating information to the public and targeted audiences through various channels of communication, including print, web, email, social media.
- Experience in editing and analyzing the materials prepared by others to ensure they are consistent in communicating the College’s message.
- Prior experience in a large research university, higher education, or related setting.
Development Resources, inc. is leading this search for Howard University. All of DRi’s searches can be viewed at http://driconsulting.com/available-positions/.