Chief Financial Officer at one of the country’s premier public defenders (Washington, D.C.)
The Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia (PDS) is a national model for public defenders.
A federally funded, independent organization, PDS provides and promotes quality legal representation to indigent adults and children facing a loss of liberty in the District of Columbia. Its work has earned admiration across the nation, and it aims to continue raising the bar to an ever-higher level in the coming years.
PDS seeks a Chief Financial Officer to lead its 7-person finance team. The team supports the organization by working with the Office of Management and Budget, as well as the United States Congress, to ensure that all financial information is accurate, documented, and reported. Using an Oracle-based financial and procurement system hosted by the Department of Interior’s Interior Business Center, the CFO has broad authority for planning and executing all aspects of the budget and general financial management.
The ideal Chief Financial Officer will have a successful track record of managing budgets and reporting for both federal and private entities. The CFO must be able to understand the complex moving pieces within an organization and remain agile in their thinking and recommendations. The CFO who can do this work will have a detailed knowledge of financial systems that will allow them to formulate strategy and connect it to tactical decision-making.
Candidates with the following qualifications are encouraged to apply:
- A minimum of 10 years of progressive federal financial management responsibility, including interpretation of federal appropriations law.
- 2 years of financial management responsibility in a non-federal work setting is preferred.
- Familiarity with federal budgetary regulations and standards.
- Experience formulating OMB and Congressional budgets.
- Understanding of the federal budget process.
- Ability to communicate complex financial data to individuals without a financial background.
- Bachelor’s degree is required; Master’s degree in business administration, accounting, finance, public administration, or related field preferred.
Development Resources, inc. is leading this search for the Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia. To apply, please submit to DRi:
- a resume
- a short cover letter that clearly states the capacities in which you have worked with the federal appropriations process — this information is required for best consideration
A complete list of DRi‘s searches is available at www.driconsulting.com/positions.