The Institute for Nonprofit News (INN) is the hub of a growing network of more than 300 independent, nonprofit newsrooms. Together, they function as an innovation and learning lab generating new ways to support high quality reporting through philanthropic news ventures and social enterprise.
NewsMatch is one of the most ambitious collaborative fundraising campaigns in the field of journalism, raising more than $21M in pooled matching funds from 17 national and more than 300 local funders to support INN’s network of news organizations. NewsMatch partners are now evolving the program to leverage its success in generating individual and institutional philanthropy and transforming how communities sustain journalism for years to come.
The Institute for Nonprofit News is seeking a Chief Development Officer to design and direct a multi-year strategic fundraising campaign increasing philanthropic revenue and investments that support the growth of nonprofit news in North America. This position will report directly to the Executive Director and CEO of INN and work collaboratively with NewsMatch funders, the NewsMatch Program Manager, and The Miami Foundation as leading stakeholders in this portfolio of funds. A sample of key qualifications include:
- At least five years of nonprofit fundraising experience, preferably with significant experience in managing a portfolio that includes multi-year fundraising campaigns or pooled funds with a range of investment options.
- A demonstrated track record in securing 6- and 7-figure foundation and private sector grans and/or managing a multi-year fundraising campaign.
- Passion for building civically-engaged communities and a deep interest in public affairs, democracy, and equitable access to quality news; a general understanding of journalism ethics is preferred.
- Comfortable with a role that is both strategic and hands-on, building and leading a small development department where you are the strategic leader and also responsible for plan execution from start to finish.
- Experience working with big tech and other corporations that can contribute more than monetary support, such as resources, training, technology, etc.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills, with a track record of building meaningful relationships with both stakeholders and internal staff.
Development Resources, inc. is leading this search for the Institute for Nonprofit News. All of DRi‘s searches can be viewed at http://driconsulting.com/available-positions/. Applications can also be submitted via email to [email protected].