One of the nation’s leading gender equity advocacy organizations is seeking a Senior Vice President of Public Policy & Research to help take advantage of a pivotal opportunity to expand its impact.
AAUW is a pioneering organization dedicated to advancing equity and education for women and girls and empowering them to reach their highest potential. What began in 1881 as a group of 17 like-minded women has grown into a powerful grassroots network with more than 170,000 members and supporters, 1,000 local branches, and more than 800 college and university partners across the United States. AAUW recently completed a CEO transition designed to steer the organization in new directions as its demographics and the public policy challenges it confronts continue to evolve.
CEO Kimberly Churches has begun a robust strategic planning process that will weave all of AAUW’s initiatives into a clear and compelling voice that advances non-partisan engagement with members and other stakeholders in an increasingly polarized and still inequitable political and socio-economic environment. The SVP of Public Policy & Research will advance this effort by establishing a rigorous and probing research agenda that helps to define AAUW’s advocacy, communications, development, and programmatic activities. The SVP plays a key role on the senior leadership team, providing guidance, analysis, direction, innovation, oversight, and hands-on implementation for all aspects of AAUW’s public policy and research agendas to advance the organization’s strategic plan at the grassroots, regional, national, and international levels. The SVP leads and manages a robust team responsible for original research studies, legislative and legal advocacy, and collaborative creation of data-driven programs in all of AAUW ‘s work areas.
The SVP’s specific qualifications include:
- At least 10 years of experience in senior management roles in a national non- or for-profit organization.
- Record of orchestrating a systematic, goal-oriented, and data-driven approach to the development of public policy programs, including an advocacy agenda and integrated grassroots and targeted advocacy activities.
- Demonstrated ability to engage in imaginative nonpartisan coalition building capable of crossing the spectrum of a polarized political environment.
- Knowledge of the legislative and regulatory process at the national and state levels.
- Government contacts with officials and elected representatives of all parties at the national level.
- Track record of leadership or significant accomplishment within a sophisticated research program.
- Proven ability to inspire, lead, and manage a multigenerational workforce and to cultivate an inclusive environment among staff.
- Bachelor’s degree is required; advanced degree is preferred.