One of the nation’s leading gender equity advocacy organizations is seeking a Senior Vice President of Communications & External Relations to help take advantage of a pivotal opportunity to expand its impact.
AAUW is a pioneering organization dedicated to advancing equity and education for women and girls and empowering them to reach their highest potential. What began in 1881 as a group of 17 like-minded women has grown into a powerful grassroots network with more than 170,000 members and supporters, 1,000 local branches, and more than 800 college and university partners across the United States. AAUW recently completed a CEO transition designed to steer the organization in new directions as its demographics and the public policy challenges it confronts continue to evolve.
CEO Kimberly Churches has begun a robust strategic planning process that will weave all of AAUW’s initiatives into a clear and compelling voice that advances non-partisan engagement with members and other stakeholders in an increasingly polarized and still inequitable political and socio-economic environment. The SVP of Communications & External Relations will advance this effort by establishing AAUW as the preeminent public voice on the organization’s highest-priority equity issues and for attracting and mobilizing existing and prospective supporters through the development of a recognizable brand. S/he oversees the development of a world-class communications program through the design and execution of innovative external and internal strategic communications plans, including rapid response; the execution of nationally visible events; the development and implementation of sophisticated strategies across a wide network, multiple channels, and myriad vehicles; and supervision of a team of marketing, art & editorial, media & digital relations, and internal & external communications staff.
The SVP’s specific qualifications include:
- At least 10 years of experience in senior management roles in a national non- or for-profit organization
- Record of orchestrating a systematic, goal-oriented, and highly strategic approach to comprehensive external relations activities that achieved both department-level and organizational goals.
- Demonstrated ability to develop a distinctive brand and messaging that engages people across the spectrum of a polarized political environment in a nonpartisan organization.
- History of effective outreach to a supporter base that is diverse across multiple dimensions, including age, race, and political ideology.
- General knowledge of best practices and evolving trends in digital, print, and broadcast communications.
- Track record of orchestrating inspiring grassroots campaigns that convert enthusiasm into action.
- Experience serving as a public representative of an organization and of coaching high-level leaders in public communications.
- Proven ability to inspire, lead, and manage a multigenerational workforce and to cultivate an inclusive environment among staff.
- Bachelor’s degree is required; advanced degree is preferred.