The world’s oceans are central to the most important food, energy, and resource challenges of the 21st century. They are also under continuous threat—from rising temperatures, commercial fishing, energy production, and pollution.
Ocean Conservancy mobilizes science-based solutions to the largest contemporary challenges to conserving the world’s oceans. Working in 6 core areas—Trash Free Seas, Sustainable Fisheries, Restoring the Gulf, Confronting Ocean Acidification, Smart Ocean Planning, and Protecting the Arctic—Ocean Conservancy conducts research, partnership-building, public education, and advocacy to protect oceans and the people who depend on them.
To advance its mission, Ocean Conservancy is seeking to hire a Senior Portfolio Manager, Foundation & Government Grants. The Senior Portfolio Manager has the chance to work closely with scientists and government relations staff on a dedicated set of programmatic areas. Reporting to the Director of Foundation and Government Relation, the Senior Portfolio Manager coordinates scientists, the executive leadership team, and communications and finance colleagues to develop timely, accessible, and compelling communications for a docket of foundation and government donors. The Foundation and Government Relations team is a fast-paced, mission-driven group of professionals that works flexibly to meet firm deadlines. The Senior Portfolio Manager plays a key role in making Ocean Conservancy’s work possible.
The ideal Senior Portfolio Manager will be an excellent writer with prior experience in an organization conducting scientific research and/or public policy advocacy. Some experience in fundraising and knowledge of government grants is preferred. Specific qualifications include:
- Minimum of five years of experience writing for multiple concurrent projects on strict deadlines and according to specified guidelines.
- Exceptional written communication skills in all dimensions, from the capacity to compellingly articulate complex ideas to a variety of audiences to the ability to edit for fine questions of grammar; knowledge of AP style is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a complex production, editing, and submission process that coordinates the contributions of multiple teams across an organization.
- Experience working collaboratively with senior management and research staff to translate technical subject matter knowledge into readable and compelling messages for a general audience.
- Experience writing general proposals for individual as well as institutional donors is desirable.
- Experience reviewing budgets and financial reports and incorporating financial information into proposals and reports.
- Meticulous attention to detail and strict adherence to deadlines and guidelines.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field (degree in English a plus) or equivalent related experience.