A community leader in enriching arts education is seeking a seasoned Development Director to expand support for its quality programs.
Sitar Arts Center transforms the lives of children and teens born into a world of unequal access to opportunity. Sitar envisions a city that considers high-quality arts education and transformative arts experiences to be essential for all. It delivers those experiences to vulnerable, financially disadvantaged children and teens, engaging them in the highest-quality visual, performing, and digital arts in order to help them learn about themselves and gain critical life skills needed to thrive in the 21st century. Sitar creates community for these children and their families and is an untiring voice on their behalf. Sitar depends on an active fundraising program that keeps tuition low and ensures no child is turned away because of an inability to pay. Since 2010, Sitar’s fundraising program has doubled philanthropic revenue to secure approximately $1.8M from all constituencies. To support its continued growth, Sitar will build a donor pipeline and major gifts program that increases the number of individual donors giving at the $5K+ level and lays a foundation to secure 5- and 6-figure individual gifts.
Sitar Arts Center is seeking to hire a Senior Development Director responsible for developing this fundraising plan. Reporting to the Executive Director and serving on the senior leadership team, the Senior Director is primarily responsible for developing a vision to expand a fundraising program that generates 90% of the Center’s revenue and to make the quality of Sitar’s operations equal to the passion of its mission. The Senior Director is primarily responsible for identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding a diverse portfolio of major donors; for leading a department of two full-time employees in executing a comprehensive development program; and for serving as the development department’s liaison to Sitar’s marketing, finance, and program teams.
The ideal Senior Development Director will have:
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in a senior fundraising role.
- Successful experience creatively diversifying and expanding a donor base and increasing number of gifts and annual revenue.
- Record of securing 5- and 6-figure gifts from individuals and corporations.
- Ability to make a personal, impassioned, and zealous case for arts education and youth development.
- Familiarity with the Washington, D.C.-based philanthropic community; professional or personal experience in an arts or youth development organization is useful.
- Undergraduate degree is required.