The American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) seeks a Managing Director for Professional Services to lead the innovative development of sustainable programs that enhance American engineering education at all levels.
Founded in 1893, ASEE is a global society of individual, institutional, and corporate members, with a commitment to advancing innovation, excellence, and access in engineering education, from elementary school students to practicing professionals.
ASEE has evolved across its 125-year history to address a full spectrum of academic interests, including research, teaching and service. The Society has a particular interest in enhancing access, inclusion, participation, and success of faculty, administrators, staff, and students drawn from the wide variety of diverse populations.
The Board of Directors at ASEE has approved a set of strategic objectives focused on five key areas that govern the organization’s work through 2023. These objectives are achieved in part through ASEE’s Professional Services Sector, which manages all of ASEE’s grant- and contract-based programmatic activities.
Today ASEE seeks a Managing Director for the Professional Services Sector, which comprises three departments: Education and Career Development, Fellowships and Research Opportunities, and Institutional and Strategic Development. These divisions collectively advance ASEE’s mission and goals by delivering services to members and other external audiences.
The Managing Director serves concurrently as Director of Institutional and Strategic Development. In this role, s/he is responsible for outreach to lapsed, active, and prospective ASEE member institutions to identify, develop, and implement products and services that enhance the perceived value of ASEE membership.
The ideal candidate will have:
- At least 10 years of experience in higher education administration and research.
- Experience working with institutions that are currently under-participating in ASEE (e.g., community colleges, minority-serving institutions, small liberal arts colleges, etc.).
- D. in engineering or science field preferred; Master’s degree with considerable experience engaging with engineering schools will be considered.
- Experience across multiple educational levels and program areas preferred.
- Record of successfully managing a long-term program launch process.
- Keen analytical and business skills necessary to anticipate member needs and interests and to translate those needs into high-value programs with sustainable business models.
- Ability to serve as a compelling ambassador to academia and to engage deans, faculty members and students in the work of ASEE.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.