The White House Historical Association is seeking a Director of Marketing to help bring the history of the White House into people’s homes across the country.
For more than 200 years, the White House has been more than just the home of the Presidents and their families. Throughout the world, it is recognized as the symbol of the United States and of executive power in the country. The White House Historical Association (WHHA) is charged with enhancing the understanding, appreciation, and enjoyment of the White House as a residence, a piece of history, and an international symbol.
The marketing program at the WHHA attracts interest in the Association’s wide range of public offerings, from its two retail shops to its educational programs. Under the leadership of President Stewart D. McLaurin, the WHHA’s programs have grown over the last 4 years, as it has opened the new David M. Rubinstein Center and expanded its event offerings. The marketing program attracts participants to all of these initiatives and more and promotes the broad visibility of the Association and its values.
Reporting to the President of the Association, the Director of Marketing collaborates with colleagues throughout WHHA—including the Director of Communications, Chief Consultant for Communications, and Director of Digital Outreach—in order to ensure a consistent and compelling identity in all forms of external outreach. The Director of Marketing focuses on the design, development, and production of promotional strategies and materials for all elements of the WHHA’s product marketing while also providing support for the WHHA’s overall outreach to promote its visitorship, programs, and philanthropic solicitations.
- At least 5 years of multi-functional marketing experience in the non-profit, for-profit, or government sector, preferably including retail, publications/collections, and events.
- Demonstrated ability to develop marketing initiatives that are consistent with an established organizational brand.
- Strong organizational and project management skills, both in scheduling one’s own projects and in coordinating with others.
- Talent for graphic design, including a good eye, preferably the technical skills to match, and an appreciation for visual brand consistency; experience providing art direction on photography in a retail environment is preferred.
- Some experience overseeing or placing paid advertising.
- Basic proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign (CS4 or higher).
- A Bachelor’s degree in any field is required.