Director of Major Gifts at investigative journalism non-profit
(New York City or Washington, DC)
First Look Media was created in 2013 by eBay founder Pierre Omidyar, who sought to build a platform to support freedom of expression, freedom of the press, and the fiercely independent perspectives that are vital to a healthy democracy and a vibrant culture.
Since its founding, First Look Media has broken stories on Russia’s attempts to hack state voting systems; has provided crucial legal representation to Time’s Person of the Year, journalist Maria Ressa; and has funded documentaries that have been nominated for Oscar Awards five times in the last two years.
Drawing on these successes, First Look Media has the opportunity to build a major gifts program to expand its critical work. It seeks a Director of Major Gifts to lead this effort.
The Director of Major Gifts will work with senior staff, high-level volunteers, and journalism leaders to build a best-in-class major giving program. The Director will oversee a program to identify and engage prospects, upgrade donors, build a fundraising advisory board, and support the CEO and high-level volunteers in high-level donor outreach.
The ideal candidate will have:
- At least seven years of experience in non-profit development, including fundraising for a media, research, or advocacy organization and fundraising in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Advanced understanding of the principles and best practices of integrated individual giving programs, including memberships, small sum donors, and the major donor life cycle.
- Track record of soliciting and securing 6- and 7-figure gifts from individual donors; experience securing foundation grants is useful.
- Sophistication and polish necessary to be a credible ambassador to high-level donors.
- Comfort working in a fast-paced, goal-oriented and entrepreneurial environment.