The Washington Center seeks a Director of Development to build a comprehensive fundraising program that supports one of the most innovative professional development programs in the country.
The Washington Center provides immersive internships and academic seminars to students from hundreds of colleges and universities and to young professionals from across the U.S. and more than 25 countries around the world. As the largest, most established program of its kind, the Center has 90 dedicated, full-time staff and more than 600 higher education, corporate, government, foundation, and internship host partners. The Center is committed to providing transformative educational experiences that change participants’ professional lives.
The Washington Center is seeking a Director of Development to develop and execute the expansion of a comprehensive fundraising program. Reporting to the Vice President of Development and University Relations, the Director of Development will have the opportunity to help build a development team of at least six positions responsible for robust alumni outreach, corporate and foundation giving, and individual major gifts. The Director will take the lead in growing corporate/foundation giving and giving program.
The ideal Director of Development will have experience leading diverse and talented development teams to achieve world-class fundraising performance. The Director will be accomplished in corporate, foundations and individual giving, with expertise in building donor pipelines and comfort with outreach to all major donor constituencies. The Director will know how to inspire, support, and reward ambitious fundraising staff in all functions and at all levels, ensuring The Washington Center team can work seamlessly together to advance its goals.
The ideal Director of Development will have:
- Record of leading, managing, and integrating an ambitious development program that advanced an organization’s mission and financial goals.
- Extensive understanding of how to utilize a small donor program to generate revenue and build a major gifts pipeline.
- Track record in working with foundations and history increasing income
- Record of personally securing 5- and 6-figure major gifts.
- Experience working with program alumni and engaging them as donors and volunteers.
- Demonstrated ability to build a well-supported, carefully nurtured, and high-performing team.
- Ability to work effectively with and gain the respect of multiple constituencies, including senior executives, individual and institutional partners, the Board of Directors, and alumni.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.