With 45 minutes and $240, Operation Smile changes children’s lives. That’s the amount of time and money it can take to repair a cleft lip or cleft palate, a facial deformity that causes malnourishment, speech impediments, and social ostracism. Most organizations would be satisfied repairing that damage alone, but Operation Smile goes further. It has turned its hundreds of medical missions around the world into the backbone for a set of programs that engage student leaders as mission volunteers, use missions to provide medical training to local doctors and nurses, and advocate for a right to safe, well-timed surgery around the world.
Operation Smile is seeking a Development Director who can engage new sources of support for this mission. The Development Director will galvanize Operation Smile’s loosely distributed supporters in the Northeast region of the U.S. into an organized network of major donors. The ideal Director will be someone who has encountered Operation Smile before, someone who will be able to tell a compelling story to prospects about what fuels his or her own passion for the mission. S/he will bring strong fundraising, relationship-building, and story-telling skills to the job, but s/he’ll have plenty of institutional support from Operation Smile: a prospect researcher, a stewardship team, and an existing portfolio of 100 prospects. The ideal Director will relish the prospect of being able to take that portfolio and run with it: of focusing on donor cultivation and solicitation, of working outside an office, of traveling regularly to meet donors throughout the Northeast, and of weaving new nodes of financial support and engagement into Operation Smile’s network wherever s/he goes. S/he will have a record not only of having done these things before, but of having done them in a way that increased a donor base and revenue, preferably for an organization in the Northeast region. Of course, s/he’ll have the initiative and maturity to do this work independently while also communicating regularly with a supervisor—in this case, the Vice President of U.S. Philanthropy for Operation Smile.
- 5-7 years of progressively responsible fundraising or sales and marketing experience.
- Record of securing six- and seven-figure gifts from individuals and family foundations.
- Demonstrated analytical and strategic fundraising skills, with the ability to recognize short- and long-term opportunities.
- Proven success in managing a portfolio and meeting fundraising or sales goals in a metric-driven environment.
- Record of designing and implementing effective cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies that grow revenue, expand a donor base, and strengthen existing donor relationships.
- Demonstrated success at energizing and leveraging a member or volunteer network for fundraising initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Residency in New York City is preferred.