The premier business organization representing all industry sectors in the nation’s capital seeks a Director of Communications to work in partnership with its new President & CEO and Board of Directors to develop a new strategic approach to member outreach and engagement.
The Greater Washington Board of Trade is the premier regional business organization representing all industry sectors. Pro-business and non-partisan, the Board of Trade is shaping and advancing the regional economy over the long term, with a focus on improving connectivity, making better use of existing resources, and addressing business concerns that stretch across the District of Columbia, suburban Maryland and Northern Virginia. Its work is backed by a diverse membership, sound research and more than 125 years of experience.
The Board of Trade just recently announced its Smart Region Movement, which will explore, evaluate, create and deploy smart city concepts, practices and technologies across the region. This movement will build on the smart city efforts already underway by converging and scaling these individual capabilities into a broader region-wide movement to move faster with greater impact.
The Board of Trade seeks a Director of Communications to design and execute a comprehensive, integrated communications effort that supports its members’ vision of the Greater Washington region. Reporting to the President & CEO, the Director of Communications works on the senior staff and is responsible for developing and executing a strategic communications plan that enhances the visibility and reputation of The Board of Trade and leverages its assets in specific regional campaigns. In addition to creating annual and campaign communications calendars, the Director is the primary writer at The Board of Trade, developing a wide range of collateral for members, news media, government officials, and other stakeholders. The Director ultimately ensures that The Board of Trade’s communications imaginatively support its public advocacy, events, and marketing/sponsorships.
The ideal Director of Communications will have:
- At least 5+ years of experience in a role that includes responsibility for digital communications; experience in a membership or advocacy organization is useful but not required.
- Successful experience designing strategic communications initiatives targeting multiple stakeholder audiences and leveraging traditional and digital platforms.
- Demonstrated ability to produce excellent writing in a wide range of media and in the voices of others; includes online content, blog posts, press releases, white papers, op-eds, and speeches.
- Record of innovative approaches to digital communication that have successfully expanded an organization’s number of followers and depth of follower engagement.
- Networks among digital and traditional news media, including bloggers and reporters, are useful.
- Ability to write quickly on deadlines without sacrificing document quality.
- Good judgment in representing an organizational brand and views to the public.
- Experience with and knowledge of issues related to the Board of Trade’s missions, such as skilled workforce, investments and innovation are useful; an interest in and ability to become quickly fluent in these issues is essential.
- Bachelor’s degree is required.