Nearly 2 billion people around the world do not get crucial nutrients in their diets, and nearly 1 billion of those are severely underfed. Malnutrition among children is not just a public health challenge but a social crisis, putting generations at risk of illnesses that threaten health, life, and livelihood.
In less than 25 years, VA has become the largest mobilizer and distributor of essential micronutrients to the global community of health organizations. VA began with a focused effort to deliver vitamin A to a few hundred thousand children in a handful of countries. Today it reaches nearly 53 million beneficiaries in 66 countries.
To support its field programs, VA generates revenue from private individuals, foundations, and businesses that entrust VA with the resources to fulfill its mission. Much of VA’s revenue is derived from corporate cause-marketing agreements with the dietary supplement and natural products industries, as well as through corporate contributions of commodities manufactured to VA’s finished product specifications. This revenue model is driven by entrepreneurial individuals drawing upon private sector sales and marketing know-how, sound business practices, and a proven and innovative cause-marketing approach that retains significant potential upside for revenue expansion.
Today Vitamin Angels seeks a Director of Business Development (DBD) to oversee all of its revenue streams. While the initial focus of this position is on growing the successful corporate partnership program, the DBD is also responsible for expanding to other revenue verticals, such as grants/foundations, individual donors, events, and gift-in-kind donations. The DBD will lead the development team to meet revenue goals by building long-term partnerships, generating demand, and ensuring the division operates efficiently to meet objectives and targets. This position directly supervises and is a critical guide to the account management team.
The ideal Director of Business Development will have:
- Minimum of eight years of successful experience directing sales with a global organization.
- Experience creating strategic and operating plans that align sales efforts with organizational goals through a methodical and replicable approach that delivers results.
- Proficient computer and donor database management skills.
- Familiarity with demand generation and conversion for individuals in an e-commerce space as well as experience driving on/offline retail sales.
- Knowledge of how to work with marketing to develop go-to-market plans for cause marketing purposes.
- Familiarity with the concepts of venture philanthropy, cause-related marketing, and/or brand management.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in a specialty area that delivers skill sets relevant to fundraising (e.g., international relations, marketing and/or sales, brand management, etc.); Master’s degree in related discipline preferred.