With 45 minutes and $240, Operation Smile changes children’s lives. That’s the amount of time and money it can take to repair a cleft lip or cleft palate, a facial deformity that causes malnourishment, speech impediments, and social ostracism.
Operation Smile broadens its reach through a variety of capacity-building efforts. It has turned its hundreds of medical missions around the world into the backbone for a set of programs that engage student leaders as mission volunteers, provide medical training to local doctors and nurses, and advocate for a right to safe, well-timed surgery around the world.
Operation Smile is seeking a Director of Development who can engage new sources of support for this mission. Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the Director will continue ongoing efforts to engage Operation Smile’s supporters in the Southwest region of the U.S. and build an organized network of major donors.
The ideal Director will be someone who has encountered Operation Smile before and can tell a compelling story to prospects about what fuels his or her own passion for the mission. S/he will bring strong fundraising, relationship-building, and story-telling skills to the job, but s/he’ll have plenty of institutional support from Operation Smile: a prospect researcher, a stewardship team, and an existing portfolio of 100 prospects. The Director will relish the prospect of being able to take that portfolio and run with it: focusing on donor cultivation and solicitation, working outside an office, traveling regularly to meet donors throughout the Southwest, and weaving new nodes of financial support and engagement into Operation Smile’s network wherever s/he goes.
- 5-7 years of progressively responsible fundraising or sales and marketing experience.
- Record of securing six- and seven-figure gifts from individuals and family foundations.
- Proven success in managing a portfolio and meeting fundraising or sales goals.
- Record of designing and implementing effective cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies that grow revenue, expand a donor base, and strengthen donor relationships.
- Demonstrated success at energizing and leveraging a member or volunteer network for fundraising initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Residence in Houston, TX is highly preferred.