When wars end, land mines and unexploded ordnance keep killing, leaving regions unnavigable and robbing people of their lives and livelihoods for decades. MAG is one of the world’s foremost organizations restoring a safe future for men, women, and children who live in this aftermath of conflict and instability. MAG America seeks a Development Director to build support for MAG’s widely-successful set of international programs.
MAG’s current operations span 23 countries across Africa, Asia, Europe, and the Middle East. In 2017 alone, its staff destroyed 100,000 landmines and 10,000 weapons, restoring 18.1 square miles to more than 1,00,000 people.
MAG’s distinctive approach—which focuses not just on restoring land but on working with local partners to make land usable in local economies and communities—creates opportunities to cultivate an unusual breadth of supporters. While most funding for its work has historically come from grants and government contracts, it also secures a modest but vitally important contributions from dedicated individuals. The Development Director of MAG America will design and lead the expansion of creative outreach to individual communities—to veterans, expatriates, and others with significant connections to and interest in the regions in which MAG works.
The Development Director will join a small, tight-knit, and dedicated team who are committed to working hard and smart to maximize financial support for MAG’s programs worldwide. The ideal Development Director will bring to the team:
- At least 5 years of experience in non-profit fundraising; some experience in an international organization is useful but not required.
- Comprehensive understanding of individual giving, including annual and major giving.
- Significant and successful track record in all stages of major donor pipeline development and portfolio management, including success in identifying new prospects.
- Experience building relationships with a Board of Directors and engaging them in fundraising activities.
- Comfort managing multiple competing projects and maintaining focus on the highest strategic priorities.
- Ability and willingness to travel both domestically and internationally to cultivate donors.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.