One of the primary organizations fighting for injured soldiers seeks a Deputy Executive Director to help ensure that the government delivers on its promise to military personnel who put themselves in harm’s way.
The National Veterans Legal Services Program has worked since 1980 to help service members, veterans, and their families collect $5B in critically needed disability benefits to which they are entitled. NVLSP provides free legal representation through its own staff lawyers and a national network of major law firms and corporate legal departments. It extends this support with a comprehensive suite of programs that build the capacity of legal personnel and others working with service members and veterans.
NVLSP seeks a Deputy Executive Director to serve as second in command of the organization. Reporting to NVLSP’s Executive Director and working on a six-person Executive Leadership team, the Deputy Executive Director oversees operations for a 36-person staff responsible for development, finance, litigation and pro-bono legal work, and training and publications. The Deputy Executive Director oversees and manages all aspects of NVLSP’s operations, sets comprehensive goals and metrics for performance and growth, and establishes policies that promote NVLSP’s culture and mission.
The ideal Deputy Executive Director will have:
- 8 to 12 years of experience in roles with responsibility for overall operations.
- Advanced understanding of legal advocacy programs and partnerships.
- Record of working successfully with senior leaders and stakeholders.
- Significant experience as a supervisor and mentor to high-level staff members as well as a leader to employees throughout an organization.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate collaborations among diverse stakeholders.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in a high-pressure, fast-paced environment.
- Bachelor’s and J.D. degrees are required.