Development Resources inc. (DRi), a growing Arlington-based professional services firm for non-profits, has a unique opportunity for an exceptional writer who thrives in a fast-paced work environment.
Since 2001, DRi has provided services to help non-profits located across the country and around the world to grow, thrive, and excel. We are founded on the belief that non-profits make the world a significantly better place, and that the work they do every day is too important to forego the resources they need to fulfill their missions. We offer executive search, fundraising consulting, and strategic planning services to support a roster of non-profit clients that includes such renowned organizations as Habitat for Humanity, Operation Smile, and the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights. DRi’s executive search practice helps non-profits design effective staff structures and identify and recruit outstanding leaders who will help make the world a better place.
DRi has an opening for a writer to join its growing Communications team. This position delivers high-quality writing on behalf of DRi’s clients, supporting the successful completion of executive searches and enhancing DRi’s reputation within the non-profit sector. The Communications Writer reports to the Communications Manager, works closely with DRi’s CEO and COO, and coordinates with non-profit leaders and staff.
Specific responsibilities include the following key tasks:
- Attend meetings to define client’s executive search-related communications needs.
- Conduct research to shape client-focused writing, including annual reports, financial statements, and web research.
- Write compelling content for executive searches, including marketing-style job descriptions, advertising copy, and detailed candidate profiles.
- Manage a revision and document approval process with internal leaders and client representatives.
- Regularly update and share critical information with other members of DRi’s search team.
- Serve as a writer for DRi’s marketing projects, including new business proposals, conference proposals, articles, etc.
- Proofread documents prepared by staff throughout DRi.
- Represent the company with integrity and professionalism.
The person in this role must first and foremost have exceptional intuitions and instincts as a writer. The successful candidate must be comfortable completing a high volume of complex writing projects with care and skill at high speed. This work requires the ability to synthesize information from multiple sources into well-organized prose; to analyze and reproduce the
nuanced styles of other individuals and organizations; and to produce targeted and compelling marketing language. The Communications Writer must also be able to understand and thoroughly incorporate feedback from others.
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university; degree in a writing-intensive field (journalism/English/history/public relations/mass communications/etc.) preferred.
- 3 years of training and experience in a role focused primarily on writing.
- Ability to produce creative promotional materials.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Considerable research, analytical, and critical thinking skills.
- Strong work ethic and ability to work independently (including organizing time effectively, following through on commitments, communicating about progress, etc.).
- Full competency in Microsoft Office Suite and preferably basic functions in Adobe Photoshop and InDesign.
Corporate Culture and Benefits
This position is based in DRi’s Arlington, VA headquarters but does not require a full-time office presence; a flexible schedule can be arranged.
Our headquarters offers a team-based environment in which staff members have close working relationships with each other and with the firm’s two founders, who serve as its CEO and COO. We hold an all-staff meeting every week, celebrate each other’s birthdays, and have been known to head out together to Star Wars premiers, lunches in Georgetown (just a 5-minute drive away), and a colleague-hosted trivia night.
We are conveniently located across the street from the Roslyn metro station in a building with a private parking garage. A monthly travel reimbursement is available for public transit or parking.DRi employees receive medical, vision, dental, and disability insurance with fully subsidized premiums, 13 days of paid leave, 10 federal holidays, and a week off at New Year’s.
How To Apply
Submit resumes and two writing samples via email to email@example.com. Subject line should read “DRi Communications Writer.”