DRi, a DC-based professional services firm for non-profits, has a unique opportunity for an exceptional writer and document designer who is energized by a fast-paced environment to become its Communications & Marketing Assistant. The Assistant will play a critical supporting role across all of DRi’s business functions, including business development, executive search, and development consulting. This position provides the opportunity to develop a variety of critical career skills and gain exposure to a wide-range of non-profits while working directly with company leadership.
Our Mission: Since 2001, DRi has provided services to help non-profits located across the country and around the world to thrive, excel, and grow. We are founded on the belief that non-profits make the world a significantly better place, and that the work they do every day is too important to forego the resources they need to fulfill their missions. We offer executive search, fundraising consulting, and strategic planning services to support a roster of non-profit clients that has included such renowned organizations as Habitat for Humanity, the NAACP, the National Gallery of Art, and the Wildlife Conservation Society.
Communications & Marketing Assistant Responsibilities:
Approximately half of the Assistant’s time will be devoted to a set of marketing projects—including social media, company website, newsletters, and proposals—that support the expansion of DRi’s key practice areas.
- Curate content for a daily social media posting schedule, including both company and individual LinkedIn/Twitter accounts, to promote company news, events, and expertise.
- In collaboration with the Communications Associate and senior staff, develop content of interest to DRi’s clients and candidates, including:
- monthly segmented email campaigns to company contacts;
- regular schedule of substantive website content regarding trends and news in non-profit staffing and fundraising;
- contributions to major non-profit publications, including articles, case studies, and letters.
- Complete visually attractive and professional desktop publishing assignments, including layout for newsletters, presentations, proposals, and other documents.
- Manage the logistics of marketing endorsements, including drafting testimonials for client consideration, monitoring client submissions, and sharing endorsements in appropriate media.
- Maintain timely updates on the DRi website, including completed searches, placed candidates, testimonials, client logos, and other material.
- Conduct general research to support marketing activities, such as research on regional markets and publications.
Business Practice Areas
The Assistant will also support DRi’s completion of current client-focused projects, providing extensive research and writing support for executive search assignments and similar support for development consulting assignments as needed.
- Draft executive search and development consulting proposals in response to RFPs.
- Utilize non-profit websites, GuideStar, and other public records research to develop draft recruitment documents (e.g., position overviews, ad plans) that market DRi clients to potential job candidates.
- Create candidate profiles to help clients make interviewing and hiring decisions.
- Provide periodic research and writing support for DRi’s development consulting practice; may include salary surveys, fundraising assessments, strategic plans, etc.
- Maintain DRi’s professional voice and high publication standards.
- Manage time and project workflow to complete documents to team and company deadlines.
- Maintain timely and accurate records of all work by updating tracking spreadsheets, database records, and digital filing systems.
- Act as one of DRi’s primary proofreaders for both external and internal documents.
- Attend and participate in executive search client calls as needed.
- Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree from a 4-year institution.
- Evidence of creativity and resourcefulness in developing outreach initiatives.
- Exceptional written communication skills are required; candidates will be expected to submit a writing sample and complete a short timed writing assignment during the interview process.
- Knowledge of basic design principles and an aesthetic sensibility.
- Familiarity with word processing and layout software is expected (Microsoft is required and Adobe is desired); familiarity with social media scheduling software, Google AdWords, and Google analytics are useful but not required.
Work Environment and Benefits: DRi‘s Arlington, VA headquarters offers an intimate team-based environment in which all of our 10 staff members have an immediate working relationship with each other and with the firm’s two founders, who serve as its CEO and COO. We work at a fast pace to exceed client needs and hold an all-staff meeting every week to coordinate on this effort. We also celebrate each other’s birthdays and have been known to go together to Star Wars premiers and lunches in Georgetown (just a 5-minute drive away across the Francis Scott Key Bridge). We are conveniently located across the street from the Rosslyn metro station in a building with a private parking garage, and a monthly travel reimbursement is available either for public transportation or for parking. DRi employees also receive fully subsidized medical, vision, and dental insurance premiums; our plan includes doctors throughout the DMV area.
To Apply: Please submit a resume and two writing samples (demonstrating both verbal and visual skills) to email@example.com. Writing samples should ideally come from a professional context.