A global leader in the delivery of high-quality surgical services in 60 low- and middle-income countries is seeking a Chief Development Officer to support its strategic expansion.
For 35 years, Operation Smile has mobilized volunteers from 80 countries to execute an integrated, patient-centered approach that heals children’s smiles and transforms lives. Children born with cleft lip and palate suffer malnourishment, speech impediments, and social ostracism, all leading to a 9 in 10 chance of early death. Operation Smile has built an end-to-end set of interventions that has delivered free surgeries to more than 240,000 of these children and strengthened ongoing medical care in their communities.
Operation Smile has won more than a dozen national and international awards, including the first Conrad N. Hilton Humanitarian Prize. It continues to set ambitious new targets: while sustaining its world-wide program addressing new cleft cases, it also seeks the elimination of backlogs of existing patients awaiting surgeries around the world and the pursuit of new training programs and partnerships to heighten broad standards of medical care wherever it operates.
To advance its ambitious agenda, Operation Smile seeks a Chief Development Officer to be the chief strategist and leader for a comprehensive, integrated fundraising program that includes mass market direct response programs, major gifts, corporate and foundation relations, strategic partnerships, and special events. Reporting to the CEO and serving on Operation Smile’s Senior Executive Team, the CDO will develop and lead the execution of plans to achieve three key goals:
- Expand a regionally based major gifts team and principal gifts pipeline
- Maximize global revenue opportunities in corporate and foundation relations and partnerships
- Build a sustainable framework for the growth of Operation Smile’s global brand and fundraising capabilities
The ideal Chief Development Officer will have:
- At least 10 years of leadership experience in the development department of a non-profit organization; at least some experience with international organization is required.
- Successful experience leading, managing, and integrating an ambitious, forward-thinking development program that advanced an organization’s mission and financial goals.
- Outstanding major gift fundraising record in a complex non-profit environment, with a demonstrated ability to build a donor pipeline, secure 6- and 7-figure gifts, and increase giving levels and revenue.
- Extensive experience cultivating and managing relationships with high-level donors and volunteers, including effectively engaging them in the fundraising process.
- Ability to work effectively and build collegial relationships in a complex organization; assiduous attention to the needs of others and to information sharing is critical.
- Bachelor’s degree in any discipline.