Americans United for Separation of Church and State, a coalition of religious, educational, and civic leaders in Washington D.C., has retained Development Resources inc. to lead its search for a new Chief Development Officer, who will lead the expansion of a comprehensive fundraising program supporting the separation of church and state.
Americans United welcomed current President and CEO Rachel Laser in spring 2018. With a new, dynamic leader, AU has embarked on a robust strategic planning process and is preparing for a more prominent role in light of the issues that have taken center stage in the national conversation: discrimination in the name of religion, LGBTQ rights, reproductive rights, religious freedom, government support of religion, school prayer, vouchers and churches and elections. There is a need for a pro-active, dynamic fundraising leader to take the program to the next level.
Americans United seeks a Chief Development Officer to lead the expansion of a comprehensive fundraising program. The immediate task of a new Chief Development Officer will be to assume strategic, management and tactical roles within the organization in support of current fundraising and funding the new strategic plan. This includes building a robust major gifts program.
Reporting to the President and CEO, the Chief Development Officer will manage all integrated fundraising strategies, including membership/annual giving, major and planned gifts, corporate giving, foundation giving, gift processing/acknowledgement, data management and events. She/he will work closely with the senior staff team and board members on fundraising strategy and high-level donor cultivation, donor engagement activities and lead a three-person development team.
Desired qualifications for this role include:
- At least ten years of progressively more responsible fundraising experience; work experience with an advocacy organization, while not required, would be very useful.
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement a comprehensive set of development strategies that lead to diversified funding and sustainable growth in organizations without an organic donor base, including both long-term and of-the-moment opportunities.
- Experienced in developing and implementing world-class major gift fundraising operations, including major donor pipelines and cultivation and stewardship programs, with a clear impact on revenue.
- Established track record of personally securing six- and seven-figure gifts from a national pool of individual donors.
- An important role in at least one major fundraising campaign, including responsibility for engagement of volunteer and leadership committees.